Known and practiced throughout Italy, the BBQ cooking of Sardinian pork follows strict rules, as long as you want to follow tradition.
First of all you need:
- a 40/60 day suckling pig that must weigh between 6 and 10 kilograms
- cooking must first be done vertically with a wooden spit
- as soon as it starts to leak, turn it horizontally
- cooking is indirect and lasts from 4 to 5 hours
- long cooking takes place most of the time on the rib side
- once the heat reaches the rind you have to turn it
- in the last half hour the rind changes color and becomes crunchy
- never add marinades, spices and salt
Serve with an excellent Cannonau!